Pampered Pets Resort is situated in the Adelaide Hills within the Mount Lofty foothills. It is acknowledged that we are situated in a bushfire prone area.
Pampered Pets Resort has a “Stay & Defend “strategy for bushfire.
At the time of purchasing the property now known as Pampered Pets Resort a bushfire audit was undertaken with a bushfire consultant and this identified that Pampered Pets Resort is quite well placed should there be a bushfire. Why?
- The kennels are situated at the bottom of a hill (fire moves slower downhill)
- There is a large, well maintained public reserve opposite the property (reduced fuel load, slower burning, natural fire break)
- A bitumen road sits between the public reserve and the property (no fuel load and a secondary fire break)
- There is a large cherry orchard to the Southern side of the Kennel that would help to protect the property from fire (well maintained working orchard would have a cooling effect and burn more slowly)
- That we as owners recognise our responsibility to provide a safe working environment for our staff, a safe boarding environment for our guests and a safe haven for ourselves and our pets
- Our internal kennels are constructed of brick
Pampered Pets Resort has made a significant investment in bushfire prevention and safety and this includes;
- Installation of 150,000 litre metal header tank maintained all year round
- Header tank has a copper plumbed sprinkler system over its roof to protect it from fire
- All external and above ground plumbing is of copper material with the balance of the plumbing being underground
- Kennel roof has been fitted with a sprinkler system to assist with ember attack prevention and to keep the kennel cooler
- A 20KVA, 3 Phase/Diesel Generator has been installed to provide alternative power
- A petrol pump is located in the back concourse of the kennel where it is protected from fire (the petrol pump supplies water to front, back and internal hose reels and kennel sprinkler system)
- 2 Fire Hose Reels installed (1 on the Southern side and 1 on the Northern side of the kennel exterior)
- 2 Hose Reels on the interior of the kennel again 1 on the Southern and 1 on the Northern side of the kennel interior
- 5 Hand held Fire Extinguishers placed throughout the kennel
- Multiple hard wired kennel smoke detectors are also connected to the house smoke detectors providing constant monitoring
- Ember mesh has been placed in the gutters and over the kennel windows to assist with preventing ember damage
- All external gaps in the roofing have been filed with fire rated expanding foam and sealed with fire rated sealer to avoid threat of ember attack
There are all the common sense chores that are done that include;
- Maintaining driveway access for CFS
- Keeping the grounds free of leaf litter
- Keeping leaf litter free gutters and downpipes
- Keeping trees tidy & trimmed
- Firewood reduced over the warmer months and stored away from the house and the kennel
- Regular maintenance on our Fire Prevention Systems
- Monitoring CFW Web Site and being proactive
- Having a Bushfire Plan of Action
- Regular training and practice with staff
- Should we need to advise people of a fire emergency, we would post on our face book page and our web site, and have a message on our answering machine
- If we need dogs or cats to be collected from the premises we would SMS you or your emergency contact
Fires generally burn and travel fast, hence it is safer to stay and defend instead of moving 45 dogs and 34 cats into an oncoming fire. Every effort has been made to make Pampered Pets Resort as safe from fire as possible. In the event of a bush fire, there would be no power for communication and roads would be blocked to incoming traffic.
You can greatly assist with the health and safety of your companion by allowing us to focus on our bushfire plans should a bush fire arise. Ensure that you, as owners of pets are aware of our Bushfire plans and talk to your emergency contacts to ensure they understand their responsibilities as an emergency contact for your pet. Make sure they have all our contacts, that they monitor our communication, Face Book, Web Site and that they look at CFS warnings. Ensure you give us the correct telephone numbers and preferred method of contact for the people you nominate as your pet/s guardian whilst you are away.