Montacute is located in the Mount Lofty Foothills and is in a fire zone area.
At the time of purchasing the property now known as Pampered Pets Resort a bushfire audit was undertaken with a Bushfire Consultant and this identified that Pampered Pets Resort is quite well placed should there be a bushfire. Why?
- The Kennels are situated at the bottom of a hill (fire moves slower down a hill)
- There is a large, well maintained public reserve opposite the property (reduced fuel load, slower burning, natural fire break)
- A bitumen road sits between the public reserve and the property (no fuel load – a secondary fire break)
- There is a large Cherry Orchard to the Southern side of the Kennel that would help to protect the property from fire (well maintained working orchard would have a cooling effect and burn more slowly)
- That we as owners recognize our responsibility to provide a safe working environment for our staff, a safe boarding environment for our guests and a safe haven for ourselves and our pets
Pampered Pets Resort has adopted and improved on the recommendations made by the Fire Consultant as Pampered Pets Resort has a Stay and Defend Policy for Bush Fire Protection.
To take Cats and Dogs from a sheltered and protected area into the oncoming fire direction is dangerous and is plagued with a lot of problems.